WELCOME

WELCOME

Thursday, July 23, 2009

Change of Plans

Ok, so all my life I've wanted to be an Obstetrician. Always. Ever since Nick @ Nite started to air "The Cosby Show" back in 2002. [Yes, it was 2002.] I was in 7th grade at the time. And if you watched the show, you know that Cliff [Bill Cosby] was indeed an OB-Gyn, and for that and that only did I want to be one. Then it started to grow on me. You know the obvious reasons to want to pursue that profession w/ #1 being able to 'deliver babies' [bringing our future into the world. well, assisting.]. I also loved the possibility of having that responsibility. Being able to help women in need with their personal issues and to help them cope in one of the best moments of their life [child birth]. I had it all planned out, or atleast I thought I did until last month.

I really re-considered being an Obstetrician. Of course when you're just 12 years old, you don't consider everything about a profession. Little kids that dream of becoming Astronauts don't think of risky complications of departing inside the shuttle. Little black children don't consider their color as a factor when they want to be the next black President, which might not be such a bad thing after all. [Anything is possible...hint!] But, becoming an Obstetrician seemed to be a good idea. I would've been delivering babies...how hard could that be right? Wrong.

I have realized at 19 years of age, that I really want to be a mother. Now, I have always wanted to be just hear me out. I was raised in practically a single parent home. At 9 [wow, 10 years ago] I was staying home alone doing my hmwk alone, as my mother worked 2 jobs to keep everything going. I respect and love my mom for all that but, that's not where I see myself in the future. I never want to miss my child's first game because I had to work a late shift. Or miss out on an Awards ceremony because I simply am too busy to make it. I don't want that. And for that one reason [& others but, mostly this one], I have decided to shift careers.

[[I want to be able to live my life, with regular [or almost reg.] work hours, and have a great career. ]]

I want to be a Doctor definitely. I want to help people. I want to do all the cliche' things doctors are able to do. But, I don't want to sacrifice my life for that...esp. the important moments.

So, I have gone from "Similac to Pro-activ"....."On call" to "I'll call you". [ok I'm kiddin but, you get my drift]. I have decided to become a Dermatologist. And this change is something that hit me b/c when I decided not to be an Obstetrician, in a sense I was lost. I was always the girl that knew what she wanted to do...and for a good while this summer, I was lost. I kept telling people I wanted to be an Obstetrician but, I knew I had no idea really. But, now I know.

I'm actually excited, even more so, to help people with their skin, and related issues. I have gone through acne problems. I remember I used to have good skin and then in middle school it hit me badly. I remember going to school w/ three pimples arranged in a triangle...that was a bad day. Or picture days....praying for a pimple not to appear. I think it's a great field! And very interesting to do clinical research. There are so many skin disorders and I think it would be kinda cool to find a cure or a cream, something to remove it. I can't wait!

So.....no more baby doctor! But, I thank Bill Cosby for starting my dream of wanting to become a doctor. I know I wasn't put on Earth to be anything but a doctor. That's just in me. I think when I get my office, I'm going to put up his picture in my office as inspiration. Even though he wasn't a real doctor, he inspired me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? I wanna hear...