WELCOME

WELCOME

Friday, January 3, 2014

Excerpt #1: Sample Story


Sometimes I write. I have a lot of short stories like this that need to be finished. I have never posted any until now. 

 FYI: There is some backstory to the excerpt, much of which has been excluded from the excerpt. In short, Indya is the main character. Throughout the story, the reader experiences Indya's growth as she ages. In this particular excerpt, Indya attends a mixer during college orientation with a few friends and becomes re-aquainted with a new friend, Kent.

"EXCERPT #1"


Jordan
Hey, have you all heard from Leigh? She said she was going to get dressed but, it’s been like 30 minutes.

Leigh
{coming out of her room}
I’m finally ready. Had to repaint my nails. All that moving fucked ‘em up.


{Leigh was their fourth roommate. She was from Brooklyn and had a strong distinctive accent. She was tough as balls, and the girls already knew this by an overheard conversation. The minute she moved in she was cursing out her long distance boyfriend in New York. The three had never heard one person be called so many foul names in one sentence. But, when she was calm, she was cool and seemed to be a great fit with the other three.}

Indya
Okay ladies, lets go.

{The ladies head outside of their residence hall and walk to the Student Union. It was a two story brick building and live music could be heard from the outside. The girls eagerly walked inside.}

Leigh
Damn, is this the club?

{Girls were already partnered up with guys and dancing closely. Some were on the walls kissing. Others sat and flirted with the guys. It was almost too much for Indya to take. She shook her head in disbelief when a familiar voice caught her attention from behind}

Voice:
Hey beautiful.

{Indya smiles and remains still unturned}

Voice 2:
Daaaaaaaamn.

{Indya’s face changes into a look of disgust and she dramatically turns around with an attitude}

Indya:

Look, don’t be disrespectful. I just got here and already…

{she pauses. It was Kent’s voice she initially heard. She realized it was another group of guys hollering after him}

Kent
Hey, cool down. I’m not disrespecting you woman.

Indya
My bad. I thought that was you at first. I hate guys like that. They act like animals.

Leigh
I know just how to handle that. {begins to walk over to the hollering group of guys}

{Jade and Jordan walk behind Leigh. She was about to dig in their asses and they already knew it. This was going to be pure entertainment for them.}

Kent
No disrespect but, you do look good tonight. Shoe game on point. {his honey brown eyes graced her petite frame slowly}

Indya
{bashfully}
Thank you Kent.  But, I should be saying that about you. You look all right.

Kent
Just all right huh? {he smiles}

Indya
So, you’re all moved in. Where are you staying?

Kent
I’m over in Baxton Hall. My roommates are hella cool. Found out my boy from the neighborhood, Phillip is my roommate so it’s all good. I’m starting to like it here already. {he elbows her lightly}

Where are you?


Indya
I’m in Hamilton Hall. It’s cool there too. My girls---I love ‘em already. I can tell it’s gonna be fun here. Just gotta stay focused on the work.

Kent
Yea, that might be a little struggle for me.

Indya
Why is that?

Kent
If the girls keep looking as good as you…I’m in trouble for real.

Indya
 Oh stop. You ain’t thinking about me boy. {she flirtatiously smiles at him eyeing her down again}

{Jada, Jordan, and Leigh spot the two talking and head over to mess with them}

Jordan
Indya, who’s your cute friend?

Jade
Yeah, girl.

Kent
{looks up from a conversation with Indya}
Hi ladies, I'm Kent.

Jordan
Kent. So where are you from, Kent?

Kent
{looking at Indya for help. Indya stares back at him waiting for a response}
Originally, I’m from the Midwest. Chicago. But I moved Georgia when I was 6. I’m from Decatur.

Leigh
Oh, so you’re a Southern boy huh? Can you cook?

Kent
{laughs at this third degree he’s receiving}
Yeah, I can whoop up a little something, something. My mom and pops taught me well you know.


Jade
All right, all right ladies. Well, we don’t want to interrupt your little conversation. We’ll be over there, girl. {points to the dance floor}

Leigh
Byeeee Kent. Bye Indya.

{The three ladies finally leave them in peace.}

Indya
Look, I’m sorry about that {laughs uncontrollably}. Those are my girls and they can get a little out of hand.

 Kent
Nah, it’s all good. Since they asked me all the questions, can I ask you one?

Indya
Sure.

Kent
You wanna take a walk? Outside.

Indya
Yea, that’s cool. It’s getting too hot in here anyways and these fools are in here practically having sex.

Kent
Welcome to college.

Indya
You ain’t never lied.

{They walk outside of the Student Center. The music can still be heard from inside but, with the exception of another couple outside, they were secluded from everyone else. They took a seat on a bench near the door and began to talk.}

KENT
Are you from Charlotte?

INDYA
Born and raised. All 18 years of my life.

KENT
Okay, so maybe you can show me around the city.

INDYA
I might could do that. Depends how long you’ll last.

KENT
Ohhh okay. How am I doing so far?

INDYA
Just fine Kent. {She got quiet and sat for a minute without saying a word}

KENT
What’s wrong? You got quiet all of a sudden.

INDYA
Nothing, just been thinking about my mom lately. She’s uhh…

KENT
What is it? Hey look Indya, I got problems of my own. I’m not perfect, therefore my life ain’t either.  So, I don’t expect anyone else’s to be perfect. What’s up girl?

INDYA
{big sigh} My mom is in rehab right now. She’s been there for 4 months. It’s just taken a toll on me and my brother this whole time. Her drug habit was a secret for years, and then 3 years ago it became obvious.

{Kent listens intently}

She got distant. It was like she wasn’t our mom anymore, like we weren’t her kids. And then she just up and left one day. My parents are technically still married. Shit, I don’t know how my dad keeps it together.

KENT
Is the rehab working?

INDYA
Yea, I think so this time. I mean for three years we’ve been trying to get her to get off this thing and it’s taken until this year for her to get this far in her treatment. She has about 2 months left in her facility and she should be released. But, man you just never know. Drugs are powerful Kent. They really change you. My mother was the most beautiful woman I ever laid eyes on. Her hair was always done. She loved curls. Her nails were painted a bold red and she always had on lipstick. She was divine. And seeing her in that facility last year was traumatic. She didn’t even look or sound like herself.

{looks over at Kent who is at a loss for words}

I’m talking too much right? Look, I don’t want to ruin this with my sad story.

KENT
No, no. Look, I can respect the fact that you are going through that and that you shared that with me. And, I don’t think you’re talking too much. It’s therapeutic. Sometimes you gotta get shit off your chest for wounds to heal. Let it heal Indya.

{Indya smiled in relief}

INDYA
Enough about me. Tell me something good…other than the fact you can cook and you look good.

KENT
Ahhh, cut it out. But, me? Umm. I’m blessed to have both my parents in my household. My mom’s a Psychiatrist. She has heard everything under the sun. I think I get my clear head from her. She’s always calm about everything. And, then my father is a Race & Ethics professor over at UGA.

INDYA
Word? I thought he would have his own law firm or something. Didn’t you say he wanted you to study law?

KENT
Exactly. That was a dream he’s trying to live vicariously through me. My grandfather has his own firm and my dad took no part in it. I think he felt bad about it and tried to push it on me.

INDYA
{smiles}
Like father, like son. You go for what your heart wants though. I can dig it.

KENT
I suppose. My sister is the same way. She’s only 12 but, that girl is determined.

INDYA
I bet. That’s cute. And I have a 16 year old brother who acts 12. Maybe they need to meet.

KENT
That’s funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? I wanna hear...