WELCOME

WELCOME

Friday, November 6, 2009

//Non-native Becomes Inspired..."Empire State of Mind" premiere

When I first saw the opening sequence to the highly anticipated video, Empire State of Mind, I was immediately drawn back to numerous videos in the past. Think back to Mary J. Blige's "Break Through" video, Jay-Z's opening to his "Fade to Black" documentary, or even more recently Trey Songz' "Invented Sex" opening. It's those bright lights that we are all so familiar, even if we're not native. Hailing from the South, I have only been to New York once. Yet, after viewing this video, I feel inspired.

Hype Williams directed the video, which is a no-brainer giving the execution of the video. Black and white videos [i.e., pictures, etc] are DOPE and will never go out of style. I love the images and the fact that it was shot in the streets, and not in some "bourgeoisie" location.



"In NY, concrete jungle where dreams are made from---." ...I'm a believer :)

*I'm aware that I haven't been posting as much. School kills again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? I wanna hear...