WELCOME

WELCOME

Saturday, April 4, 2009

THINKFAST: "Recount the Origins of Any Nicknames/Petnames You've Had"

I was desperately thinking of what creative content to write on here and I found some interesting prompts on PLINKY, which is a site full of thought provoking prompts.

I chose the prompt, "Recount the origins of any nicknames or pet names you have" because I've had a few in my 19 years of life on Earth.

Here they are: (BTW, my name is Desirae)

  1. Desi - My parents would call me this when I was little and every now & then, they do. I admit that I absolutely hate this nickname though, because it makes me sound like a little girl, which I'm not anymore. Sometimes old friends that I went to school with in Elementary often call me this too, but they don't know any better.
  2. D ("Dee") - I rarely hear people call me this but, I thought I'd add it. Most of the time it's people who haven't known me for long. (I don't know why people want to continuously shorten my name) But, it's ok I guess.
  3. D-Rae - I was given this name in 7th grade by a friend and I surprisingly (I'm a freshman in college) still use the name. I don't walk around saying "call me this" but it surprises me that people who never used to call me that, call me 'D-rae' now. But, as I get older, its goin to have to go. Even the name plate on my car :( No time soon though.
  4. Illustrious - Okay, I gave this to myself as a "rap name", when I was actually considering being a rapper. Seriously, I would be in Geometry (around 9th grade?) and I would have my notebook and just write everyday. But, I kind of stopped since then because I really want to be an Obstetrician. But the meaning of 'Illustrious' meant to me to be very descriptive and expressive. And as a rapper name, I thought it suited well.
  5. [Don't laugh!] Wintah Fresh - I secretly was going through a phrase when I was thinking of rap names, along with 'Illustrious' and well, this was one of them LOL. It is what it is...you know cold on the mic, real fresh style. But that idea lasted as long as this sentence, thank God!
  6. [Almost forgot this one] Desire - Some people called me this to be funny, which was fine, and I can take a joke. People who don't know how to spell my name off back often write this and I'm like "seriously?". 'Desirae' & the "fire and desire", that Teena Marie sung about are two different things.

But that's all for this one. As you can see nicknames can be really crazy & die quickly or stick with you for almost forever. Oh the power in a name!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? I wanna hear...