WELCOME

WELCOME

Saturday, March 8, 2008

College Road Trip: Winthrop Day!

So, today my mother and I visited Winthrop University, one of my top choices for college, and I was pretty impressed. At first, I was a bit sketchy because I hadn't visited since I'm guessing when I was in 8th or 9th grade. And I was defintely NOT paying any attention. The people there were soo nice. No one shied away from giving whole answers and explaining thoroughly what really goes on ect, ect. We got to Winthrop nearly a half hour late because, we missed our exit and got lost once we found it. The auditorium was packed but luckily we squeezed ourselves into two seats near the back. Once we sat nerly ten minutes later everyone was being dismissed to start tours categorized by majors (I am a future biology major) and boy did that take 4ever. So, we toured the science labs, nothing too special. I've seen better at my high school. But its whatever. Next, we had lunch in this huge dining hall where they served corn on the cob, baked beans, potatoe salad, barbeque sandwhiches, and tea that literally tasted like water. lol! But, afterwards we went into the recreational center with a rock climbing wall, snacks, a pool, athletic equipment, and more. We even got a free t-shirt, once we filled out our evaluation sheet on the university itself. Next, it was off to a financial aid lecture for half an hour, let's just say I almost fell asleep. grants -loans-fafsa...thats all i heard over and over and over. By then i was ready to get a peek at the dorms. I was a lil taken aback by it but hey its a dorm, what do u expect? The bathroom is shared by others on the floor. And the bathrooms have two showers and two stalls but the floor is really small, so it would be like 4 girls to one shower or something like that. But the shower could've been cleaner....i will be wearing flip flops no doubt if i go there. The dorms looked better when they were decorated. The first one we were shown was like ehh! But the 2nd one was cute in pink and a rug and it was a loft style. Some of the doors were decorated in chalk, pictures, boards, shoot u name it, and they had it up there. i can't wait...idk i just like dorkky stuff like that. But there was a lounge and a very small study room, i mean if u breathe you might hurt somebody...as i was getting ready to leave this group of gurls asked my mom and i if we had any questions. of course it was 58 degrees, prob. colder and we were ready to go. But i asked "What do you guys do on the weekends?" (because Winthrop is known as a suitcase school, meaning every one goes home on the weekends) and they reassured me that the school is working on having more activities on the weekends that keep the interests of their students. They even recommended some nice food places, all of which i can't recall anymore. But they were cool, so i think Winthrop might be tha right place. I won't be totally convinced until i visit Coastal Carolina University again....after all i cant go on a wim with this process. i will be living at one of these colleges for 4 years, living, not just attending but living there 24/7...so i have to make sure im making the right decision....2day was a good day tho!!! regardless of the weather...GO EAGLES/ OR CHANTS!?






No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? I wanna hear...